Fished with John. We got to the public ramp at 8:15 AM, and we were in the water by 8:30. A dozen or so cars were already at the ramp.
Air temp was in the 60's, water likewise. There was little wind when we arrived, but it blew a little stronger once we hit the water. Water was murky, maybe 2-3 feet of visibility. Lots more grass now than in Jan/Feb. Moon was waning crescent, 15% visible. Sunrise 6:36a, moon rise 3:58a, moon set 3:21p. Majors 8:07a -11:07a, 9:32p- 12:32a, minors 2:58a - 4:58a, 2:21p - 4:21p.
Projected low tide was 11:15a, and it was pretty much right on the money. The tide was lower than I had seen it before, which made some areas I had fished before inaccessible. We found an oblong cove with mixed grass/sand bottom and fished it for about 1.5 hours. Lots of little strikes, probably small trout or ladyfish. The spot looks like it *should* hold fish, so it will be worth a return trip.
Once the tide turned, the wind laid down quite a bit, so we decided to scout the area where I had caught fish in January. I put on a Gulp shrimp on a 1/16 oz jig under an Equalizer. My float submerged on almost every cast, and after 20-30 minutes of work, I finally landed an 8" trout. We continued to work the area until the tide changed.
At about 1p, we paddled back against the incoming to the cuts I had worked last time. We each landed small trout again, but nothing worth keeping. The water toward the ramp was considerably more clear, and we identified a big sand bar that dropped off from 2 -6 feet. We worked that area, but didn't catch anything. Another spot worth a return trip.
We used a variety artificial baits (flukes, shrimp, crabs) on jigs, swimbait hooks, and under popping corks.
No comments:
Post a Comment