Monday, February 6, 2012

Ozello, FL North Ramp, 02-05-2012

The reports I had been reading all stated the colder water was pushing the bite back later in the day in Ozello. I decided to launch later than usual, and I ended up putting in right at noon, which was a little later than I wanted.

The wind was also stronger than had been forecast, about 10 MPH out of the WNW. Partly cloudy, 80 degrees. Water temp in the low 60's, slightly murky inland, clear closer to the ramp. sun rise: 7:17 a, moon rise: 4:15 p. Moon phase was Waxing Gibbous, 94% illuminated. Majors: 10:17 AM - 1:17 p, 9:42 p - 12:42 a. Minors 4:20 a - 6:20 a, 3:15 p - 5:15 p.

Rode the incoming tide back to the spot where I had been successful with the redfish bite on previous trips. The wind was not favorable for those areas, however, and I spent a lot of time repositioning myself. I worked the shoreline and adjacent drop off for an hour and a half with no success. I used Exude shrimp in Golden Bream and Gulp shrimp in natural.

I decided to use the wind and tide to my advantage and drifted further into the marsh than I had been (from the ramp, that is). I ran across a school of ladyfish that kept me busy for a while until the tide changed. The wind picked up at about 3 PM, so I decided to paddle back toward the ramp and work those areas.

I worked two small cuts near the ramp where I had spooked fish before. There were small mangrove islands with sharp drop offs from angular rocks down to oysters. I worked these edges in the narrow cuts and boated two under-slot trout, and two small reds, all within 15 or 20 minutes between 3:15p and 3:45p. I worked that area until about 4:15p with no further action.






















On the way back to the ramp, I spotted a ledge that dropped off to about 3-4 feet positioned in the lee behind an island. I worked this area for about 10 minutes, and hooked a big trout (est. 20-21 in.). I got him to the boat, but he spit the hook.

No action after the trout. I was off the water by 5:30p. All fish were caught on Gulp shrimp in natural, on a 1/8 oz Bass Assassin red jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment